Type: Towns & Villages
The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead is a short break destination in South East England combining 1,000 years of history, contemporary shopping and fine dining with sports, leisure activities and events.
Windsor and The Royal Borough lie to the west of London in the charming rural countryside of Royal Berkshire. This is an exciting, fashionable and sophisticated area, rich in things to see and do with interesting walks and tours, boat trips and open top bus tours, historic gardens and world-famous racecourses. All this, together with a host of international events, makes Windsor and The Royal Borough a year round visitor destination. It’s perfect for a day trip or for a short break.
It is home to 13 attractions including Windsor Castle, Eton College, Changing the Guard and LEGOLAND Windsor. The River Thames flows through the whole of the Royal Borough and it is along or near the river that many of its historic and attractive towns and villages can be found including Bray, Eton and Maidenhead.
Whether your interest is heritage, shopping or family fun, there is plenty to see and do. Check out the Daily Express's 10 Things to Do in Windsor. Blue Badge Guided Tours are available in Windsor.
Use our accommodation booking service to find the right place to stay – we have over 100 establishments ranging from B&Bs to luxury hotels.
6 Things to Do in Windsor
- Explore Windsor and Eton in a fun-filled and challenging game – A Scavenger Challenge organised by Team Activity Group. Teams of up to six people are challenged to reach certain goals by performing various missions around the town.
- For a leisurely trip, join a French Brothers Cruise with unique views of Windsor Castle as well as Eton College. The 40 minute or 2 hour return trips should be on every visitors “to do” list.
- Take a walking tour with a blue badge guide to discover Windsor’s rich heritage.
- Windsor Castle is another ‘must do’. It is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world. Today The Queen spends most of her private weekends at the Castle, which is also used regularly for ceremonial and State occasions.
- Watch Changing of the Guard. The Guards can be watched as they march up the High Street and into the Castle, but to see the actual ‘changing’ ceremony you need to have paid to go into the Castle, you need to be positioned in the High Street at 10.50am.
- Float leisurely along the Thames and glide past the royal home of the Queen at Windsor Castle with London Kayak Tours. Enjoy the awesome view of Windsor Castle, the oldest inhabited Castle in Europe. Windsor Tours start and finish at: SL4 5JB, at the Public Slipway beside Windsor Leisure Centre. All Tours are guided by a friendly BCU Instructor. Tuition given at the beginning of Tours by a qualified British Canoe Union Instructor.
Where to stay
Did you know?
In this country Ice Cream was first served at a banquet for the Feast of St. George at Windsor Castle in 1671. It was such a rare and exotic dish that only the guests on King Charles II's table had 'one plate of white strawberries and one plate of iced cream.' All the other guests had to watch and marvel at what the Royal table were eating. (http://www.ice-cream.org/content/history-ice-cream)
Experience Windsor from the comfort of a horse-drawn hackney carriage and be part of a 165-year-old...0.01 miles away
The Changing of the Guard is one of the highlights of a visit to Windsor. A band usually...0.1 miles away
The oldest and largest inhabited castle in the world and The Queen's favourite weekend home.0.11 miles away
Theatre Royal Windsor
The greatest names in theatre come to the Theatre Royal Windsor, as they have since it opened in...0.11 miles away
Your road adventure begins in the heart of Windsor, our circular tour then takes in the historical...0.12 miles away
The Windsor & Royal Borough Museum is a registered/accredited, family-friendly and accessible small...0.14 miles away
Daily boat trips from Windsor, Runnymede, Maidenhead & Hampton Court - group rates for 20 or more...0.21 miles away
The Wren’s Club, at the Sir Christopher Wren Hotel & Spa, provides a club offering three floors...0.21 miles away
Enjoy using excellent equipment and extensive range of services in a brilliantly designed,...0.57 miles away
Kris Cruisers operates one of the largest fleets of day boats seating up to 6, 8, 10 and 12...1.12 miles away
Windsor Farm Shop
Windsor Farm Shop sells a range of products from the Royal Farms and small local specialist...1.41 miles away
Through temporary and permanent exhibitions and a rich programme of events, Slough Museum...1.94 miles away
Fringilla Boat Services offer quality, classic charter boats for events such as birthdays and...2.17 miles away
Dorney Lake is a 2,200 metre flat water rowing lake owned by Eton College. Used for international...2.28 miles away
In a tranquil garden setting, with a large river frontage for easy mooring, this 175 berth marina...2.3 miles away
Set in a symbolic acre of land donated to the United States of America by Queen Elizabeth II in...2.32 miles away