Attractions on the River Thames
From historic royal palaces and castles to thrill-filled theme parks, the River Thames is surrounded by lots of exciting attractions.
Come rain or shine, there are plenty of things to keep you amused while you’re by the River Thames. The Thames winds its way through a wealth of England’s history. During the colder months, why not explore a royal castle or take a trip back in time at a museum. When the sun’s out, make the most of it at a stunning riverside garden or take the kids on an adventure at a wildlife centre or nature reserve? Combine it with a boat trip or hire a boat for a great day out on the River Thames.
Make a day or weekend of it and head to a riverside town where there’ll be plenty to keep you busy - Oxford with its gleaming spires, Windsor with its regal heritage or Henley and Marlow, lovely market towns waiting to be explored. Or head to England’s capital city and explore London from the river.
- Don’t miss Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace the jewels in the crown.
- Explore 1000 years of history, politics and stunning art and architecture with the Houses of Parliament audio and guided tours in London.
- A visit to Oxford should include Oxford Castle Unlocked, which has a 900 years old Crypt, and climb St George’s Tower with 360° panoramic views over the dreaming spires.
- Not far from Henley is Stonor Park, a hidden gem. A family home for over 850 years, with an impressive art and treasure collection, it is surrounded by Italianate gardens and deer park.
- Enjoy the Gardens of the Thames at Cliveden National Trust, with its ‘Fountain of Love’; or The Savill Garden, Britain’s finest ornamental garden with 35 acres of garden and woodland.
- Find out about Rowing, Rivers, Wind in the Willows and the history of Henley at the River & Rowing Museum, recognised as one of the top 50 Museums in the world by The Times
- Take a walking tour to discover the highlights of Oxford and Windsor with an Oxford Official Walking Tour or with Windsor Tourist Guides Use the search box on the right of this page to find attractions under the 'things to do' tab.
Use the search box on the right of this page to find attractions under the 'things to do' tab.
Explore the beautiful, relaxing and inspiring
Sleep under the stars, stretch out in a luxurious four-poster bed or be gently lulled to sleep by the sounds of the river. Find out more about your perfect place to stay on the River Thames.
The rural River Thames winds its way across six counties, from its source in the Cotswolds to the outskirts of London, there are many towns to visit along the way.
Fancy a quick snack, or a hearty three-course meal? What about a glass of wine by the river? There’s a whole host of pubs, restaurants and tea rooms along the River Thames.