Family Fun on the River Thames
Things to do in the Half Term holiday.
There's plenty of great ideas for family things to do on the Thames. There’s walks for all the family whether you’ve got a buggy, the dog or use a wheelchair.
If you’re feeling lazy join one of the popular cruises on all-weather boats, ideal for families, along different sections of the River Thames offered by:
- Hobbs of Henley (Henley)
- French Brothers (Windsor and Runnymede)
- Salters Steamers (Various lcoations from Oxford to Staines)
- Thames Rivercruise (Caversham, Reading)
- City Cruises (London)
Explore Henley-on-Thames or Windsor and discover how much there is to do. Check out the Daily Express's 10 Things to Do in Windsor. Looking for something different to do this summer, take a family activity break on the River Thames.
Museums are fun places these days and great for rainy days...
The River & Rowing Museum offers lots of options for rainy days. Museums offer a variety of ways to engage as a family, from free family trails or activities. Half term events at River & Rowing Museum include Pebble Pets, Graphic Art Super Heroes and Wild Wednesdays.
- See the events calendar for more fun activities.
Another best for families is the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford
Make a bee-line to the Pitt Rivers and the Oxford University Museum of Natural History for a relaxing afternoon. Try our activity backpacks, sorting boxes, trails, colouring sheets, story corner and craft activities. Suitable for all ages.
Thinking about next year’s holiday, take a boating holiday on the famous River Thames. The following provide boats for Boating Holidays , why not make 2015 the year to have a holiday afloat?
- Hobbs of Henley – the ultimate luxury Linssen cruiser
- Calmer cruising - A luxury Self-Drive 60ft by 11 ft Widebeam with the style of a Canal Boat
- Kris Cruisers - 15 cruisers ranging in size from 29ft-48ft, 2-10 berth motor cruiser
- Myrivercruising - River Thames Day Cruises and Boating Holidays
- Le Boat - provides a wide selection of boats, with different features, styls and sizes to suit any party size.
Explore the beautiful, relaxing and inspiring
There really is so much to do on the river and nearby, that a day is not long enough. There are plenty of family-friendly places to stay nearby or on the river. Make your base at one of our family friendly hotels and you can discover history or enjoy a spot of camping...
Don’t forget there are endless ideas for adventure on the river. Check out our ideas for Great Family Days Out. The simplest way to explore the river is a rowing boat For a rainy day visit one of the Thames Valley Museums.
Fun on the River Thames doesn't always have to cost you. There are plenty of free ways to have a cheap day out with the kids on the River Thames. Take a stroll, get on your bike, catch a fish or play Pooh Sticks...