Family Fun on the River Thames
As Spring approaches, there’s still plenty of places to enjoy the river with one of the walks for all the family whether you’ve got a buggy, the dog or use a wheelchair.
If you’re feeling lazy join one of the popular cruises on all-weather boats, ideal for families, along different sections of the River Thames offered by:
- Hobbs of Henley (Henley)
- French Brothers (Windsor and Runnymede)
- Salters Steamers (Various lcoations from Oxford to Staines)
- Thames Rivercruise (Caversham, Reading)
- City Cruises (London)
Explore Henley-on-Thames or Windsor and discover how much there is to do. Check out the Daily Express's 10 Things to Do in Windsor. Looking for something different to do this summer, take a family activity break on the River Thames.
Museums are fun places these days and great for rainy days...
Voted one of the top museums in the world by The Times, The River & Rowing Museum, Henley shows what a great time can be had in a museum. There are interactive displays such as Row Together, visit the magical Wind in the Willows exhibition, which brings to life the much-loved story with 3D models, lighting and music. Why not visit on one of the Family Days which offer extra activities for your admission price.
The River & Rowing Museum is only one of over 70 museums in the Thames Valley. A new website ‘Thames Valley Museums Group’ lists many of these, providing lots of options for rainy days. Museums offer a variety of ways to engage as a family, from free Family Trails or activities. One of the best for families is the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford.
- See the events calendar for more fun activities.
• Pitt Rivers Museum offers free family friendly fun every Sunday 14.00 – 16.00
Make a bee-line to the Pitt Rivers and the Oxford University Museum of Natural History for a relaxing afternoon. Try our activity backpacks, sorting boxes, trails, colouring sheets, story corner and craft activities. Suitable for all ages.
Thinking about next year’s holiday, take a boating holiday on the famous River Thames. The following provide boats for Boating Holidays , why not make 2014 the year to have a holiday afloat?
- Hobbs of Henley – the ultimate luxury Linssen cruiser
- Calmer cruising - A luxury Self-Drive 60ft by 11 ft Widebeam with the style of a Canal Boat
- Kris Cruisers - 15 cruisers ranging in size from 29ft-48ft, 2-10 berth motor cruiser
- Myrivercruising - River Thames Day Cruises and Boating Holidays
- Le Boat - provides a wide selection of boats, with different features, styls and sizes to suit any party size.
Explore the beautiful, relaxing and inspiring
There really is so much to do on the river and nearby, that a day is not long enough. There are plenty of family-friendly places to stay nearby or on the river. Make your base at one of our family friendly hotels and you can discover history or enjoy a spot of camping...
Don’t forget there are endless ideas for adventure on the river. Check out our ideas for Great Family Days Out. The simplest way to explore the river is a rowing boat For a rainy day visit one of the Thames Valley Museums.
Fun on the River Thames doesn't always have to cost you. There are plenty of free ways to have a cheap day out with the kids on the River Thames. Take a stroll, get on your bike, catch a fish or play Pooh Sticks...